[MUD-Dev] Re: DevMUD considerations and the Halloween article

Tue Nov 3 08:07:47 CET 1998

[Jon Leonard:]

 >Oh, I'm happy to volunteer (as I've said before).  The questions are:

OK by me. Your views seem to be less extreme than some others, so by
my thinking that qualifies you.

 >Despite Alan Cox's warning about discussing issues for a month before
 >coding, I still think a little more discussion is called for.  Semantic
 >properties of an in-game language are comparatively undiscussed, for
 >example.

The semantics of the language are governed by the run-time (and to a lesser
extent the parser/compiler) for that language. In other words, they can
vary depending on which modules are plugged in. Everything you do in the
MUD scenario will be built on top of those semantics, but the core *can*
support multiple semantics. That's one of the reasons why I haven't been
too concerned about that issue.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation. - me

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA