[MUD-Dev] Re: Why modules? (Was: Inheritable modules)

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 2 22:24:50 CET 1998

On  2 Nov 98, Vadim Tkachenko wrote:
> Jon A. Lambert wrote:
>
> [I'll be dropping little remarks here and there today...]
>
> > I also view configuration information as a candidate for runtime
> > dynamism.  Another source of unnecessary rebooting.
>
> Think about this (in Java SYNTAX, not semantics):
>
> class Configuration extends EventMulticaster;
> interface ConfigurationChangeListener;
>
> Rings a bell?

Yes.  Ding.
This says a lot in a little.  A solution dynamic configuration
problem using a variation of the Observer pattern.
This works for me.  Now make Configuration persistent.

DevCore Requirement:
    Allow configuration information used by the server modules or
plugins to be done on-the-fly with changes saved across reboots.

Reason:
    Reduce the set of conditions in which a server reboot is
required.  Server reboots reduce uptime, irritate users, and
negatively impact profit in a commercial situation.

A Possible Solution:
    see above...

--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--