[MUD-Dev] DevMUD considerations and the Halloween article

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Mon Nov 2 16:16:56 CET 1998

By now many of you (certainly the Slashdot readers) will be aware of
the Halloween article.  (Unconfirmed rumour has it that MS has
acknowledged its authenticity) For those of you that aren't familiar
with it (yet), see:

  http://www.kanga.nu/halloween.html

I aplogise for the colours, the wandering font sizes, and all the
rest of it, tho they're not my doing.  Its also rather long: prepare
to spend some time reading it (its worth it).

The halloween article actually contains a pretty good analysis of
the structure and operation of Open Source (OSS) projects -- a
classification which DevMUD certainly falls into -- along with their
weaknesses, organisational challenges, and synergistic strengths.

Alan Cox has written a differently themed but equally useful and
insightful analysis for a Slashdot article:

  http://slashdot.org/features/98/10/13/1423253.shtml

Key points: We have a lot of blather and no code.  We have no benign
dictators (and I'm not volunteering).  In summary we have much hot
air, exercised keyboards, and no product.

This needs to change.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at kanga.nu
(Contractor)                              Internet: coder at kanga.nu
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com