[MUD-Dev] Re: Why modules? (Was: Inheritable modules)

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Sun Nov 1 21:51:10 CET 1998

Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
>=20
> This is getting worse. Now you don't even assume anything about the
> developers, and Vadim ignores the lag! Great! A total lack of a problem
> space!!  You'll be lucky if you eventually stumble onto something which
> isn't a minor issue...

About this particular issue (hope I didn't lose the context): I _do_
_not_ ignore the lag. There are two unrelated topics regarding the lag:

1. Firs of all, you can't control the lag, would it be one second or one
minute. It's beyond control, therefore irrelevant. The only thing you
can do is make your system lag-tolerant (I wouldn't go too deep into
this, it's been beaten to death before).

2. It's not a high-level design problem, it's communication layer
problem. If overall performance for everyone drops if you have one
client lagging out, it's a wrong design, not wrong lag handling.

Now, I've tried to express as simple as possible (probably omitting too
much significant details) my point of view.

Comments, anyone? Try to keep on this abstraction level, please, if you
catch my drift.

> Ola

--=20
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <vt at freehold.crocodile.org>
--
UNIX _is_ user friendly, he's just very picky about who his friends are