[MUD-Dev] Re: Nested coorindate space model

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk
Thu May 21 18:03:03 CEST 1998

On Wed, 20 May 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:

> Given a domain which consists of several distinct lumps, the
> coordinate system ignores the "space" between the lumps.  ie the space
> between the lumps as defined by the containing coordinate system is
> treated as of zero size.

Cunning, though for me, it's more of a curiosity than something I'd be
willing to implement.  Can a builder switch between coord systems?  Say
from cartesian to cylindrical?  Or perhaps something even more bizarre,
like transformations to a Z plane:

  There's a huge building 100m to the right.
  > turn right
  There's a huge building 100m infront of you.
  > walk
  [pause]
  There's a huge building 30m to your left.
  > walk towards building
  [pause]
  There's a huge building 150m to your right.

A modern day maze.  (eek, bad game design!)

[snipped]

> Note: A specific requirement of this entire system was to be able to
> model the Tardis, the Blue Grass Path, and Vance's Big Planet (* see
> note below) as well as more mundane geometric systems.

Oh, I see...

Mundane questions coming up...

How do you define irregular domains?  Lots & lots of coords?

I presume players can see across domains?

Can domains be shifted around?  Say, if an earthquake struck an area.

How are overlapping domains resolved?

_O_O_  Elec Eng Dept, Loughborough University, UK.     kllo at iee.org

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.