[MUD-Dev] Re: OT: Java multithreading performance

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Mon May 18 20:48:27 CEST 1998

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Chris Gray wrote:

> [Vadim Tkachenko:]
>
> :I have the logging routine implemented in such a way that it accepts the
> :messages and prints... well, makes them available to the final logging
> :device, in the thread runninh with background priority. When I ran this
> :est, I had to disable all that stuff because the log was becoming silent
> :after some number of threads (don't remember the exact number, though).
>
> Understood. Determining what the absolute number of threads it can support
> is academically interesting, but not real useful. Determining the number
> of MUD-server-like threads that it can support is more useful. Your
> result is closer to that. So, if a server design in Java intends to use
> a thread per client, and each client should have an open socket, then at
> least on Linux, the socket-per-process limit is likely to be reached before
> any inherent Java limit. Of course, there is still the CPU power limit,

The socket limit has me worried.  I can't think of a clean way to get
around this in Java.  I suppose I could do a

System.??("java AnotherServerBackEnd")

 but that seems messy at best.
Anyone got around this, or know of a project which has tried?

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.