[MUD-Dev] Re: MURKLE: Wot it is

Koster Koster
Sun May 17 14:13:54 CEST 1998

On Friday, May 15, 1998 8:48 PM J C Lawrence
[SMTP:claw at under.engr.sgi.com] said:
>> UO during the beta test had already started developing things like
>> player towns, if that sort of activity is what you were referring
>> to. That was during the second beta phase, which I think numbered
>> around 20,000 total, for around 2500 simultaneous playersB. I do not
>> recall any player towns developed in the first phase, which was an
>> order of magnitude smaller. But then, there may simply not have been
>> enough time for them to develop.
>
> Is that 2,500 players simultaneously on the same shard?

Yes.

>  NetStorm looks utterly fascinating (Jon!  Looks like one you might
> be interested in as well).  I'd have a very very easy time persuading
> myself to buy that, and I haven't bought a new off-the-shelf game in
> years.  <URL:http://www.titanic.com/netstorm.html>

NetStorm is in the bargain bin, so you can pick it up for $10 or so, I
bet. I also hear that Titanic folded last week, but that may be just a
rumor.

NetStorm had some bad problems with security (it saved "character data,"
which is to say, your island, on your hard drive), and a really cool
concept. I did some alpha testing on it. It wouldn't call it mudlike--it
was a "build a movable fort, and send it into an arena" game.

-Raph

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.