[MUD-Dev] Re: OT: Java multithreading performance

Sat May 16 09:11:28 CEST 1998

[Vadim Tkachenko:]

:Test algorithm:
:
:record the time;
:fire the thread;
:wait until it's started;
:record the interval between the creation time and this moment;
:wait 100 ms;
:fire another;
:perform something in the current thread.

:P2/300, 128M running Linux & JDK 1.1.3 - no significant impact on other
:programs, except load very close to 1 (for obvious reasons)

I'm finally approaching that, except only 64M - am I likely to need more?

What happens if your delay is increased from 100ms to, say, 1s? (Other than
the experiment taking a lot more real-time.) I guess I'm wondering just
what is consuming the time - is it the JVM flapping around with 3400 threads,
or is it a lot of allocs and frees that are consuming the time? If the
objects for the threads are as simple as possible, doing an absolute minimum
of allocations/deallocations, how do the numbers change? How expensive is
the "perform something in the current thread"?

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.