[MUD-Dev] Re: OT: Java multithreading performance

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Fri May 15 22:36:31 CEST 1998

On Sat, 16 May 1998, Vadim Tkachenko wrote:

> Hello,
>
> If this information is even more offtopic than I think, just let the
> thread die - the only reason I'm posting it here is I remember some
> people were concerned about Subj and some others were considering Java
> server side.
>
> So, that was the noise, the signal is:
>
> Test algorithm:
>
> record the time;
> fire the thread;
> wait until it's started;
> record the interval between the creation time and this moment;
> wait 100 ms;
> fire another;
> perform something in the current thread.

Do you have this as an applet somewhere, or an application?  I've
got a cyrix 155  and a cyrix 233, dual-boot both.  I'll be happy to
test it out under win95 and Linux.  If it's an applet, I'll run
it on my Ultra Sparc at work too, and nt machines :)

Hrm, the 8 processor workstation might be fun too!

On a similar, OT note:  How many simultaneous connections can you have
under Java.  In other words, it's usually limited to around 256
under Linux, but you can fork to get around it.  Not sure you can
fork a java app.  So, does the java runtime take care of this, or
does it take some more insidious hack?  (I want to stay Pure Java if
at all possible.)

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.