[MUD-Dev] Re: Is There a There in Cyberspace?

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Fri May 15 13:52:42 CEST 1998

On Thu, 14 May 1998 01:38:22 -5
Jon A Lambert<jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On 13 May 98, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> Ahh, the problsms of growing and fostering a culture.  There's
>> actually a decent analysis of the formative forces in there too:
>>
>> <URL:http://www.eff.org/pub/Publications/John_Perry_Barlow/HTML/utne_community.html>
>>

> I'm sorry JC.  I had a lengthy reply to this article but deleted it
> because it was rather inflammatory.  Lets me re-phrase my response
> with a simple statement from which I base my disagreement upon.

Phhhhhbbbt!

<<And people still figure I post these things because I agree with
them!  Sheesh!  What do I have to do to get them to realise that I
often post such specifically because I disagree?>>

> Diversity is an antonym of Community.

Community defines a quality of "sameness", if only on the simple score
of, "He's one of us!"  Diversity defines qualities in which identities
are not the same, and are thus "other".

This is a direct comparison to the basic characters of thought:
similarities, differences, and identities.  Raise any one of the
triumvirate out of proportion (and that proportion interestingly
enough is often culturally defined), and you start to define insanity.

Its a balance.  Too much one side, not enough the other and you have a
tight knit even fanaticly zealous community.  The other way you have a
bunch of lonely folks.

> There, that would seem to cut to the heart of the matter without
> making references to Pol-Pot, marxism, doublethink, globalism and
> the long term effects of hashish.

Spoil sport.

> I feel better now. :)

And the bile drips on...(tho my gall ball seems happy enough of late)

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com

MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.