[MUD-Dev] META: Broken mail headers

Tue Mar 24 20:47:21 CET 1998

:}   I've tracked this problem down to being caused by two of our more
:} active posters.  One of them (well, their software actually) randomly
:} inserts TAB characters into subject lines, and the other extra spaces.
:} Yes, the list software should/could strip them back to normalcy.
:
:Can't those posters tweak their s/w to avoid such behavior?

My editor will convert sequences of 2 or more spaces into a TAB if they
end on an 8 column boundary. That's the default mode for each buffer,
and can be changed manually. So, I don't think I'm causing the problem,
but may be contributing by occasionally turning multiple spaces into tabs.
I'll look at producing a version of the editor that defaults to always
putting in spaces (it will then replace all tabs with the appropriate
count of spaces), and using that special version for email. That will
result in larger byte-counts, but better spacing on systems with
broken tab handling (whether broken because of the software in use, or
because of inappropriate user settings).

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA