World Persistence, flat files v/s DB v/s ??

s001gmu at nova.wright.edu s001gmu at nova.wright.edu
Mon Mar 23 14:56:27 CET 1998

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Matt Chatterley wrote:

[...]

> I was briefly toying with the idea of rigging a system so that users were
> not disconnected during reboots. Unsure on this currently.

you may want to look at:

  cshadow.net 4000

It's a diku-hack-POS, (I can say that as I worked on the code it's based
on... ick), but they rigged a 'soft-boot' system, where they reboot w/o
dropping ppl off.  Pretty slick.  It does incure a slight delay whilst
storing all the info, etc, but it works.  It takes advantage of Unix
system calls... some creative work with a fork and exec as I understand
it.

-Greg