[MUD-Dev] Net protocols for MUDing (was: Moore's Law sucks)

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Thu Mar 19 16:06:26 CET 1998

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998 14:13:23 PST8PDT
Adam Wiggins<nightfall at user1.inficad.com> wrote:

> So here's a question to you, Chris, and all those that have remained
> silent on this thus far: which do you prefer - a client whose speed
> is directly proportional to the speed of your internet connection so
> that you can rely on every client always being 100% "correct", or
> one which runs at its own framerate (hopefully 30fps or better)
> attempting to display what data it has about the world as best it
> can, resulting in some inconsistencies (or perhaps many if your
> connection is very unstable)?

The latter.

  Note: Even sitting at the fat end of an OC3 (as I was this weekend)
I still got horrendous lag from a couple sites.  Nothing to do with my
end.  Everything to do with a tinpot router with indigestion at their
end.

I want a "best effort" representation from the client which sacrifices
verisimiltude and other forms of fidelity for the sake of performance
when resources get low, be the CPU, bandwidth, whatever.

> I know which one I'd choose, but I
> wonder how many people feel the same?  Or perhaps there should be
> some sort of consistency sliders in the options screen which change
> how much prediction it does on its own, and how much it relies on
> the server for?

Possible, but rather expensive to implement...

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com