Transport layer (UDP vs TCP)

Niklas Elmqvist d97elm at dtek.chalmers.se
Tue Mar 17 19:40:57 CET 1998

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Ben Greear wrote:

> I'm pondering a multi level transport stream.  The important stuff
> would go over tcp/ip, and the client-side-cache updates would run
> over UDP.
>
> The question is, what is the packet size (max) that UDP can handle?

A good place to find information about anything that even remotely
pertains to networks and the Internet are the RFC docs. A bit technical
(but that's how we like them) but usually of good standard. You can find a
directory containing ASCII-text versions of all the RFCs at
<URL:http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Internet-documents/rfc/> (the index is called
rfc-index.txt).

RFC 1180 is a TCP/IP tutorial, and a good one at that, but only brushes
through UDP. RFC 768 concerns itself solely with UDP, the answer to your
question might be found there.

> Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear

-- Niklas Elmqvist (d97elm at dtek.chalmers.se) ----------------------
"You can't trample infidels when you're a tortoise. I mean, all you
 could do is give them a meaningful look."
	- Terry Pratchett, Small Gods