[MUD-Dev] Re: Analysis and specification - the dirty words o

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Fri Jun 26 14:29:59 CEST 1998

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:20:04 -5
Jon A Lambert<jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Recently there's been a plethora of books along the design patterns
> line, including one called "Antipatterns".

There's a brief review of this in the current CUJ.

> I was recently browsing this tome, which appears to be about
> patterns that do not lend themselves to good design, when I was
> rudely thrown out of the bookstore before I could memorize the
> author's name.

The CUJ reviewer is fairly positive about the book.  Note however that
the patterns in question are not algorithmic but developmental.  The
question is how to recognise development processes and states that are
doomed (we've all been there) ahead of time, and then realising the
pattern that fits the character of the failure, avert or minimise
disaster.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com