[MUD-Dev] Re: Databases: was Re: skill system

s001gmu at nova.wright.edu s001gmu at nova.wright.edu
Fri Jun 26 13:00:58 CEST 1998

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:46:20 -0400 (EDT)
> s001gmu <s001gmu at nova.wright.edu> wrote:
>
> > We're working on using either CQL++ (if they will ever get back to
> > me!
>
> I have several requests out to them for performance metrics with no
> reply as yet.  Unfortunately I'm not facile enough with DB's or SQL to
> do decent tests myself with any certainty that I'd be testing anything
> other than the limits of my own understanding.

I was talking with them about their multi-user product, which they
advertised, for a brief while, as being free, in a linux-only version.  I
have yet to hear back from them.  Consequently, we are re-evaluating our
DB needs, and will probably look elsewhere.  On the whole, I've been less
than impressed with Tache Group.

We may still use the single user version, but as I understand such things,
that would require us to handle all the locking and data consistancy
mecahnics on the mud-server side, something I was hoping to avoid by using
a DB that would let us have multiple queries running simultaneously.

bleah.. that was a 4 line sentance and a half... ;)

> > Did they write anything about the MUSH DB expiriement, btw?  I'd
> > love to get my hands on any documents they produced.
>
> I'm currently chatting with Marcus Ranum and others off list (Andrew
> Molitor poked his head in, and am still trying to unearth Jennifer
> Smith) in an effort to unearth the Wizards list archives.  Marcus has
> made several interesting comments about Uber and Unter's performance
> metrics.  I'm awaiting permission to forward his mast missive to the
> list.

*eagerly awaiting any tidbits they can send our way*

-Greg