[MUD-Dev] Re: Databases: was Re: skill system

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Mon Jun 22 15:57:18 CEST 1998

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998 14:43:16 -0700
T Alexander Popiel<popiel at beldin.snugharbor.com> wrote:

> In message: <9193945826E7D0118BB4080009DBF8F611737D at TTECH> jacob
> langthorn <jlangthorn at towertechinc.com> writes:

>> Has any one tried using Orical or SQL to manage the data base for
>> the mud? If so what sorta luck did you have?

> Yes.  David Passmore and Lydia Leong did an experiment with MUSH,
> trying to run it off of one of the SQL engines.  They found that it
> dramatically increased the speed of global searches, but increased
> the time to get stuff like the list of local objects by an order of
> magnitude.

> This fits with my beliefs about MUDs and classic DBs: they're
> optimized for different things, and should be so.

Do you know if they attempted to tune MUSH'es basic data model to fit
the new storage behaviours, or if they just attempted to supplant the
basic dbm with an SQL structure?  The numbers you report would seem to
suggest a straight transplant without attempting to tune the data
model for the new medium (while I can't comment on the SQL world, a
few custom indexes or localised cacheing would handle the local object
list provlems poste haste in the DB2/Progress worlds I used to play
in).

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com