[MUD-Dev] Re: Analysis and specification - the dirty words of mud development?

Fri Jun 19 19:53:19 CEST 1998

[J C Lawrence:]

 >  Does anyone here have a base of regression tests for even any
 >portion of their server or game code?
 >
 >  Does anyone here have a test plan for their server or game base?
 >
 >  Does anyone here have actually do any structured or automated
 >testing of their MUD or game code?

Well, only sorta. First, my scenario is built by feeding the source to
it into a regular client (in "wizard mode"). That process involves a lot
of work on the part of the server, etc. Second, I have some extra
scenario code (the "wanderers") that creates 26 NPC's that go around
fighting things, picking things up, dropping things, and just plain
wandering at random, at about 2 second intervals. I would start 2 or
3 sets of those on my Amiga 4000T, and let them go for an hour or two.
That puts quite a bit of stress on the server. Sometimes (when bored),
I would go in as a character and beat up on them (occasionally it was
the other way around, of course). The idea is to simulate a bunch of
player characters. I get over 100 additional monster-type NPC's active
when I start them down in the depths of my "dungeons".

--
Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA