[MUD-Dev] Re: Analysis and specification - the dirty words o

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 16 22:20:04 CEST 1998

On 15 Jun 98, Niklas Elmqvist wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, Andrew C.M. McClintock wrote:
>
> > I for one am interested, but not at all knowledgeable about the subject;
> > can anyone recommend any good books on the topic, or any other form of
> > information?
>
> Another must-buy for O-O design zealots is "Design Patterns : Elements of
> Reusable Object-Oriented Software" written by Gamma, Vlissides, Johnson
> and Helm (incidentially, these four are called Gang of Four or GoF for
> short). This is a comprehensive catalog of extremely useful design
> techniques (or "patterns" as the authors call them) for common problems
> when writing O-O software.

Recently there's been a plethora of books along the design patterns
line, including one called "Antipatterns".  I was recently browsing
this tome, which appears to be about patterns that do not lend
themselves to good design, when I was rudely thrown out of the
bookstore before I could memorize the author's name.  Anyone read
this book or some of the other design patterns books?

I also recommend "Object Oriented Modeling and Design" by Rumbaugh,
Blaha, Premerlani, Eddy and Lorensen.  Lots of case study material
included.  I'm not sure how it compares with the other book you
mention.

Booch also had an excellent book on software design and modelling
using Ada (c. 1990) with an interesting modelling notation (reminds
me of something Rube Goldberg may have created).  Even if you don't
use Ada, there's a lot of good info about concurrent and real-time
programming.
--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
--/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--