[MUD-Dev] Re: Databases: was Re: skill system

John Bertoglio alexb at internetcds.com
Tue Jun 16 19:47:45 CEST 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: J C Lawrence <claw at under.engr.sgi.com>
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Tuesday, June 16, 1998 10:47 AM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Re: Databases: was Re: skill system

>On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:46:20 -0400 (EDT)
>s001gmu <s001gmu at nova.wright.edu> wrote:
>
>> We're working on using either CQL++ (if they will ever get back to
>> me!  grumble) or mSQL for our DB back end.
>
>I haven't confirmed this, but I've read several reports that both
>MySQL and mSQL both have performance/scalability problems with large
>databases.  You may want to investigate this area.

Don't know anything about MySQL but have worked with MS SQL server and done
a lot of research prior to choosing VFP for a back end. The scalability
issues (for SQL server) only appear as you approach terabyte data
warehousing-type applications at which point PC class machines begin to
look pretty skimpy for other reasons as well. If budget is not an issue a
few 32 processor RISC machines with Oracle (or similar products) will leave
SQL Server/PC combinations in the dust...but not on a transactions per
dollar basis.

Poorly written OBDC drivers can cause problems with data transfer between
clients and the server back end.

>--
>J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
>(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
>---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com
>...Honourary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...

John Bertolgio