[MUD-Dev] Re: skill system

Adam Wiggins adam at angel.com
Thu Jun 11 15:22:30 CEST 1998

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Katrina McClelan wrote:
> Also, I mentioned before, experience is overriding, but in lack of it,
> consider appearance.  Think of how you'd percieve a business man in a
> three piece suit and tie with brief case, wearing glasses, clean shaven
> with a "yuppie"  haircut walking past you to his Volvo at night compared
> to a long haired tatooed guy with a goa-tee, in a Budwieser tank top,
> leather jacket, and ripped up faded jeans, walking past you to his
> motorcycle at night.  While the truth may be that the business man is a
> martial arts expert, and the punk is a wimp, the perception generally
> speaking would make you more nervous about the punk guy.  Certainly the
> charging lupine would look scarier than the weakly old man, but if that
> old man is a master wizard...

Although I'm not sure if it actually has anything to do with what we're
talking about, I might note that part of the reason that someone might be
more nervous about the "punk" is that, statistically, the punk is more
likely to be looking for trouble.  I suppose this point is moot on a mud
where most everyone is looking for trouble...

Adam