[MUD-Dev] Re: skill system

Mike Sellers mike at bignetwork.com
Wed Jun 10 17:26:22 CEST 1998

At 07:00 PM 6/10/98 -0500, Koster, Raph wrote:
>>    ]consider bubba
>>    You've no idea how good Bubba is in a fight.
>>=20
>> Now imagine you try again later, after watching Bubba dispatch a few
>> goblins:
>>=20
>>    ]consider bubba
>>    Bubba is pretty good at fighting, but you think you could probably
>> beat him.
>>=20
>> So you try and kill Bubba...the trouble is he was using his rusty old
>> dagger
>> against the goblins, but when you attack he pulls out the dreaded
>> Katana of
>> Castration and almost kills you.  Later you consider him again:
>>=20
>>    ]consider bubba
>>    Bubba would slaughter you in a fight!
>>=20
>> This could be added into my recognition code quite easily, ... [snip]
>>=20
>I hate to ask, but how on earth do you guys manage to store all that
>data? :)

I could see keeping a list of "enemies" tied to each character: how have
you done vs. monster type <x> and against PC/NPC <y> in the past.  Given a
UID for each PC/NPC/monster type, and a numeric rating, it might not be
_too_ much data (you could limit it to storing the most recent n enemies,
where n increases with character power, or something).  This could easily
be tied in witha  personal name-space, and could give you neat messages like=
=20

There is a hobbit here.  You grin as you think of all the hobbits you have
slain in the past.

or
=20
Bubba is here.  Your legs go weak remembering how completely he has
trounced you in the past.

OTOH, one thing I don't know how to measure is how many fights you've
"watched", and how that would affect your ability to "consider"
someone/thing. =20

--

Mike Sellers=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Chief Creative Officer=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 The=
 Big Network

             =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Fun=A0=A0 Is=A0=A0 Good =20