[MUD-Dev] Re: Fun vs Realism [ Was: OT: Sid Meier ]

Adam J. Thornton adam at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Wed Jul 29 10:14:23 CEST 1998

On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 11:04:46PM -0700, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> In the end, we only really know what WE think is fun. For example, the
> 'Mortal Kombat' style games leave me pretty bored. Even when I'm playing
> another human being.

Well, this is pretty much the whole point, isn't it?

Writing games for yourself or for a company that's *yours* means you get to
write *the game you would want to play*, within the limits of your
abilities (both coding ability and imagining ability).  Sure, it's
unlikely to make you rich, but at least you know when you've made something
*you* think would be worth playing.  The question then becomes, is anybody
else out there sufficiently like you to want to play it too?

But at least you get to have the fun of doing it, as opposed to working on
a project that's somebody else's (management's/marketing's/some other
designer's) idea of a good time.

Adam
adam at princeton.edu
"There's a border to somewhere waiting, and a tank full of time." - J. Steinman