[MUD-Dev] Re: WIRED: Kilers have more fun

quzah quzah at geocities.com
Mon Jul 27 22:29:13 CEST 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Damion Schubert <zjiria at texas.net>
Date: Monday, July 27, 1998 8:39 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Re: WIRED: Kilers have more fun

I must agree. I've found it incredibly fun on more than one
occasion. I enjoy mainly mage and thieving types of characters,
that said, I had a mage on Conch (I think it's pry gone now, but
who knows) who I had lots of fun with. They let you turn on a
flag for PK if you liked, but you couldn't turn it off once it
was turned on.

There was a warrior named Sturm on said mud, who toggled his on
and asked me to do the same. (I'll try and keep it short :) So
finally I did, after I set up a small hmm... what's the word...
trick. Well, dying never means much on diku based muds (as a whole)
and so, I killed myself, with aid of a monster, and wound up in
the 'safe' room, above town center. This is the room that people
go when they die. I cast 'beacon' (anchor), and left the room.
Then when Sturm came around, we began to engage in a little friendly
combat. At any rate, when he finally got killed once, I cast 'return',
the compliment of the 'beacon' spell, ending up in the same "safe"
room as he. Then, since when you die on general diku muds, you are
in the "resting" position, he would have to type 'stand' to get back
to his feet. Before he could do so, (since he had 1hp from dying) I
being in the "safe" room, killed him again, (and again, and again...)
around thirty times in a row.

To sum it up, the god wasn't to happy, I'm not sure if Sturm really
cared or not, after all, you only loose a tad bit of experience, and
dying means nothing. [Except there it kept a tally of the times that
you died, so it was just a bigger number] --- Now, naturally, I KNEW
the gods would get mad, but in any event, what did I do? I showed them
that "Hey, the safe room isn't safe.", also, I teleported into the
"morgue", where the corpses were stored when you die --- Some place
they thought you couldn't get to. So, I showed them that too. [Actually
I did just say, "Hey, fix the morgue, I'm in it."] (Oh, also, I charmed
the healer and led it off into a no exit room -- all sotrs of things
like that that I actually helped them fix ;)

For the most part, I really enjoy trying odd things out. Some people
are just born that way perhaps ;) My girlfriend says I just like to
break things... I say its more like, "Can I do ..." and if so, why,
and if not, why.

At any rate, I don't mud any more, I'm trying my hand at making my own
code base ... who knows, some year it may get to the point of playable.

[snip about covering your tracks]

>A lot of our mutual acquaintences called him a jerk.  I prefer
>to think of him as a 'learning experience', one which actually
>contributed directly to my career.  Sure enough, mischievous
>players do this on UO, M59, and almost every other major
>online game, almost every day.
>
>--damion

Hmm. I suppose the same could be said of my playing style. Perhaps
I just get too bored with the norm, or have a short attention span
for it. :) At any rate, I suppose this whole reply is off topic,
and for that I appologize. :)

-Q-
(Oh, they had a sleep spell that the only way you woke up was to
be attacked. I cast that in town (safe zone again...) on Sturm.
All in all, I found a ton of things for them to fix :) Which you
might say, was over-all benificial. I should write a book in it.)