[MUD-Dev] Re: WIRED: Kilers have more fun

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Fri Jul 24 09:40:38 CEST 1998

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998 03:21:37 -5
Jon A Lambert<jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On 3 Jul 98, Marian Griffith wrote:

>> So what social, ethical, economical and other mechanisms keep the
>> vast majority of people from taking what they please and eliminate
>> all who oppose them. And can similar mechanism be brought over to
>> the mud environment with its unique characteristics?

> Banishment == Death      Suspension == Imprisonment

> Taking my "MUD-dev list as mud" analogy to extrems, it seems to work
> here.  There is significantly less "violence" on this mud than in
> the r.g.m.a. one.  ;)

Minor notes:

  Within the last three years of MUD-Dev I've removed or arranged to
be removed (yes, I'm devious that way) less than 5 members.

  As list owner I have a big stick and am prone to remining people of
that fact (genitalia waving?).  I don't seem to walk softly tho.

  As some of the currently petitioning-for-posting-authority can
attest I vet who gets let in fairly closely.  An obstacle course.  I
confidently predict that this pre-selection of the membership has far
more effect on the character and culture of this list than any of us,
encluding myself, are aware of.

Whoops.  Gotta run.  KQED (local NPR station, see
URL:http://www.kqed.org/) is about to do a piece on OS alternatives to
MS.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net