[MUD-Dev] Re: [CODE] [LANGUAGE/PLATFORM SPECIFIC] My Event Engine

Joel Kelso joel at ee.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 22 10:20:41 CEST 1998

s001gmu at nova.wright.edu wrote:

> so, yes, it is 'tick-based', but only inasmuch as the computer is tick
> based.  I don't impose any artificial ticks on top of the system ticker.
> :)  I do allow for the definition of a GRAIN, but that is only for
> shorthand.  It gets a bit cumbersome to schedule an event to go off in one
> week of real time if you have to measure it down to the nanosecond.  The
> Grain is just an int multiplied to the offset before it is added to the
> current time:
>
>   t += offset * GRAIN;

Hey, this might be obvious, but how do you get a system clock millisecondsor
microseconds (nanoseconds ?) in Unix ?  Is there a POSIX standard
function for this ?

Joel Kelso

"Wasn't it a four-year-old this time ? It makes me feel like standing
 in the middle of the Atlantic with a megaphone and shouting:
 'America!  We know you're in there!  Put the guns DOWN!'"
    - Overheard Conversations