[MUD-Dev] Re: DBMS in MU*'s

Adam Wiggins adam at angel.com
Tue Jul 21 15:25:45 CEST 1998

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 s001gmu at nova.wright.edu wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Chris Gray wrote:
> > The game value of allowing
> > that kind of breakage is likely less generally useful (how is it better,
> > for the game, than just ending up with a single "broken axe handle"?)
>
> I can see where breaking things can be of importance to the game.
> Consider a wall betwixt you and the treasure of masive manlyness.
> Granted, I might be tempted to call walls a construction of bricks, but
> then, do I really want to model EVERY brick?  I don't think so...  not
> until memory gets to the range of $0.01/GB.  This thread feels like it is
> pulling us back towards a thread quite a while back that JC was prominent
> in, about grouping items, etc.

If I'm thinking of the same thread, the suggestion was to not actually
bother *creating* all those individual objects unless they were needed.
Thus, you have a brick wall which contains 100 identical bricks in a
regular grid.  These bricks aren't seperate objects unless someone smashes
a wrecking ball into it.  Same thing with a pile of coins, or anything
else you want.

Adam