[MUD-Dev] Re: DBMS in MU*'s

Mon Jul 20 19:36:12 CEST 1998

[s001gmu at nova.wright.edu (Greg):]

 >Short of some titanic force, no unaided mortal will break the axe head,
 >but the handle is quite breakable.  Now, another can of worms is opened
 >when I ask, "uh.. what happens to the handle?  is it 2 distinct 'broken
 >wooden axehandle' objects?"  I choose not to address that, atm.  :)  Words
 >of wisdom from the peanut gallery?

You mean like, allowing disassembly being the first step, and breakage
being the second step of a infinite path leading nowhere? :-) You either
have to stop somewhere, fake it, or get generic. The game value of
allowing assembly/disassembly can be good. The game value of allowing
that kind of breakage is likely less generally useful (how is it better,
for the game, than just ending up with a single "broken axe handle"?)
If you want to go that path, consider modelling the axe handle as a
rough cylinder of given dimensions. Breaking it produces a pair of
rougher cylinders of appropriate dimensions. The breakability of a piece
of wood is related to its smallest dimension (unless of course you want
to get into issues of wood-grain).

--
Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA