[MUD-Dev] Re: [Java] multithreading: update and a question

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Wed Jul 15 23:39:41 CEST 1998

Chris Gray wrote:

> [Vadim Tkachenko:]

[skipped]

> If I'm not remembering wrong, Java does allow you to find out the machine
> and OS you are running on.

System.getProperty( X ), where X is os.name, os.arch, os.version

> Is that how you plan to do things in your wrappers? That should work out
> OK, but as you say, it sure isn't the portable Java programming that we
> are supposed to have!

Unfortunately, it's not portable as a lot of us want it to. On the
bright side, this particular issue has something to do with performance
optimization, not with the portability, although I admit it may
influence the very ability to operate under given conditions.

Yes, this is how I'd implement it, and I guess I don't even have to
reinvent the wheel - the concepts of HAL (aka Hardware Abstraction
Layer), microkernel etc. existed for a long time.

And again, in this particular case, the many/one is hopeless, one/one
may be casted into many/many with approximately the same mechanism as
many/many uses at the kernel level. So the resulting performance
degradation wouldn't be so bad.

Or, just get the right OS from the very start, but that's religious.

--
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <vt at freehold.crocodile.org>