[MUD-Dev] Re: Affordances and social method (Was: Re: Wire d Magazine...)

Sat Jul 11 17:03:06 CEST 1998

[Adam Wiggins:]

[ToonMUD]

 >Of course, this would probably be completely unsatisfying to the
 >achievers.  I would say that typically this sort of play is rewarding only
 >if the advancement achieved in-game has a chance of being lost, through
 >death or more subtle means.  And if it's possible to take something of
 >value away from other players, then bullies become a problem again.

You could still achieve on such a MUD. Just not by killing people. Status
could be based on a lot of things, just like it is in real life. The
toons in "Roger Rabbit" had most of the same concerns that the real
humans did - just no fears for physical safety (well, other than the
spray cans of ink remover).

--
Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA