[MUD-Dev] Re: WIRED: Kilers have more fun

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 8 00:35:15 CEST 1998

On  2 Jul 98, Koster, Raph wrote:
> > From:	Marian Griffith [SMTP:gryphon at iaehv.nl]
> > In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Mon 29 Jun, Koster, Raph wrote:
> >
> > > If you are coding a system whereby nobody can strike another person
> > > *even in justifiable circumstances*, what sort of society have you made,
> > > and what sort of ruler are you?
> >
> > Here we have a point worth of very serious discussion. And one where I
> > very much have to disagree with you. I do not belief that there can be
> > justifiable circumstances to strike at somebody else.  At least not in
> > a game that attempts to provide a safe environment.
> >
> What about "keeping it safe"?

I'd argue that violence cannot and does not occur within any mud.

> > Restrictive does not make it stalinist. Nor fascist. The game prevents
> > certain actions that would,  if unchecked one way or the other, become
> > harmfull to the majority of the players. Player's freedom is not taken
> > away. Only certain actions that would otherwise be prevented in diffe-
> > rent ways (e.g. by player vigilante activities).

Restricting actions, restricts freedoms.   I very much agree that the
characterizations of fascist and stalinist are unfair.

> > This is partly a problem because of the way power works in muds. The
> > only power there is -is- that of the sword.
>
> Not at all! As Dr Cat rightly points out, solutions such as ostracism
> are very powerful. Of course, given the fluidity of identity, ostracism
> is hard to implement. :(

Identity can be made much less fluid, through email registration,
character registration, etc. BTW, I would think commercial providers
would have a stronger handle on identity via electronic payment
systems and/or client software registration.  Ostracism can be
implemented at the expense of anonymity.

--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
--/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--