[MUD-Dev] Arctic's Project?

Brandon Cline brandon at sedona.net
Fri Jan 30 03:21:34 CET 1998

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Adam Wiggins wrote:

> [Brandon Cline:]
> > Was browsing around on Arctic Mud's web page when I noticed this in the
> > online help files.  Now I don't know if any of this went through or what
> > not but I thought you'd find it interesting what they were considering...
> >

> >                                    ARCTIC OS
> >

> > Arctic's Next Large Scale Project
> > =================================
> >
> > We, the immortals of Arctic MUD (tm), have decided to begin a port of
> > Arctic's code to JAVA language into a Windows 95 environment.  The code will
> > only run for Win95 so we can try to optimize speed and utilize the enhanced
> > features of this superior operating system.
>
> Although this is fairly humourous by itself, it's a *whole* lot funnier
> if you're familiar with Arctic in general.  For those that don't know, Arctic
> is a mud based on diku which has been running for about six years now, and
> is IMO one of the best GoP muds ever made. (mud.arctic.org 2700 if anyone
> cares)
>
> Needless to say, most of the Arctic staff and players are die-hard
> UNIX lovers.
>
> > Anonymous: 'Are you going to pwipe?'
> >
> > Due to the conversion from operating system and code language, we will likely
> > be having to clear the player files.  But do not expect to see something like
> > that happen for quite some time.
>
> The immortals on Arctic are famous for sprining pwipes on the mud population
> without warning.  People are constantly asking if there's going to be a pwipe,
> and whenever the immortals deny it most vehemently is when it's about to happen.
>

> > Nuitari
>
> Ah, this explains it.  This guy is a well known prankster :)

Laf, oops, guess i stepped in that one, musta been really late at night or
something.  Now that I look at it,, it is kinda funny... :>
  Hehe, just recently started playing around on Arctic again, (it was my
first internet mud to have played), and even though it's a major GoP game
for some reason it snags my attention and makes time pass way too fast. :>

  If anyone has ever wondered what the effect of a who list that doesn't
list level or class would be this'd be the place to look.  Even in their
GoP Diku environment just that unknown factor makes people tend to be alot
more wary or polite to/of strangers.  Oh, they also do a decent job of
long travel times and large world base within the confines of diku setup.
Which also has an interesting effect on people. :>

Brandon L. Cline      |      Imagination is more important than knowledge.
brandon at sedona.net    |                                -- Albert Einstein