Java and Javascript

Greg Munt greg at uni-corn.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 20:15:43 CET 1998

Hope you can help me. I'm looking to implement some sort of graphical
client, within a web browser. I know that this has been done before,
without requiring the page to be reloaded. They used either Java or
Javascript, can't remember which.

IIRC, Java is useful on the networking side, whilst Javascript is useful
when you need firm control of the browser itself. Does anyone care to
supply advantages/disadvantages of each, and what each should be ideally
used for?

Should I be looking at both Java *and* Javascript, to complement each
other, or should I concentrate on using just one of them? How much of the
Java/Javascript functionality does the potential DHTML/DOM standard
encompass?

--
Greg Munt, greg at uni-corn.demon.co.uk   "I'm not bitter - just twisted."
http://www.uni-corn.demon.co.uk/ubiquity/