[MUD-Dev] Arctic's Project?

Brandon Cline brandon at sedona.net
Wed Jan 28 09:29:29 CET 1998

Was browsing around on Arctic Mud's web page when I noticed this in the
online help files.  Now I don't know if any of this went through or what
not but I thought you'd find it interesting what they were considering...

                                   ARCTIC OS

Arctic's Next Large Scale Project
=================================

We, the immortals of Arctic MUD (tm), have decided to begin a port of
Arctic's code to JAVA language into a Windows 95 environment.  The code will
only run for Win95 so we can try to optimize speed and utilize the enhanced
features of this superior operating system.

Part of our conversion will include implementing Direct X 5, which will be
included on our CD (more on this later).  From Direct X 5, we will be mainly
using Direct Play (networking), Direct Draw (2d graphics), Direct 3D, and
Direct Sound.  This means that you will have to meet certain hardware
requirements in order to play our game.

In order to utilize the Direct X features, we will be working on a Direct X
Arctic MUD Client (tm) that must be used to play our game.  We hope to be
using DVDs to distribute our client, but due to the lack of an industry
standard, a beta version of our client will be sold on CD.

Due to the lack of space, our client will not contain many features that will
be available on the full release version of our client including:

high resolution 3D graphics
3D models of every object, mob, and city
Stereo sound
a 'MAP' function
a 'STAT LOG' function
a 'SPEED WALK' function
Detailed HELP files
Automated actions (recalls and such)
Customizable voice for your characters (your characters SPEAK instead of
    simply typing hi to everyone's screen)
The ability to create 3D models for your character images (We'd appreciate if
    you would not make naked models of yourself as you run through Solace).

For our registered users:

numerous SECRET CHEATS
enhanced immortal CUSTOMER SERVICE/TECH SUPPORT

We will likely be marketting the CD/DVD for approximately $100.  Registration
will be probably priced at $50 a year.

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS
=====================

Due to the specialized functions of our client and mud, we will be developing
hardware to meet the needs of our players which will include:

the Arctic MUD 3D Video Card (tm) -- $200
the Arctic MUD 3D Sound Card (tm) -- $200

Your computer must also meet these standards and connection speed:

A Pentium II 233Mhz Processor w/MMX minimum
128 megs of RAM
4 gigabytes of hard drive space
a 20x CD-ROM (specs for DVD are not available yet)

===

Murn: 'Will Arctic support enhanced 3D porn?'

Arctic Will not support enchanced 3D porn.  We have no plans to expand our
game to ever support such a thing.  Thank you Murn.

Anonymous: 'Will you support enhanced MUDSEX?'

Arctic will not support enhanced MUDSEX.  We want to keep Arctic MUD (tm) as
a family game.

Anonymous: 'Are you going to pwipe?'

Due to the conversion from operating system and code language, we will likely
be having to clear the player files.  But do not expect to see something like
that happen for quite some time.
Breadhead: 'Will you port it for the MAX (client)?'

Because of Macintosh's inferiority to the praised Windows 95 OS, we cannot
code a suitable emulation of our Client.  Thus, we recommend that you invest
in a new Pentuim II 233Mhz machine or greater.

Stern: 'Will the client run on Windows 3.1?'

No.

SUPPORT STAFF
=============

Fistandantilus - Overseeing the conversion
Morgion - Handling the preliminary marketting strategy
Nuitari - Direct X coding (client) and assisting Morgion
Quath - Conversion of Arctic code to JAVA and working with Nuitari on client
Solinari - Conversion of Arctic code to JAVA
Flint - Rewriting zones to meet our new JAVA code requirements
Fizban - Arctic hardware development
Habbakuk - Assisting Flint with zone rewriting
Stiehl - Assisting with JAVA conversion
Siria - Assisting with JAVA conversion and hardware development
Theoden - Assisting with marketting
Takhisis - Helping mortals with questions about the change.
Chemosh - Rewriting zones, helping mortals, and graphic development.
Riverwind - Graphics and audio development.

Unamed 32's and 31's will be expected to help out with graphics, audio, and
minor code/zone work.

Help file last updated on August 22, 1997.

Nuitari

Brandon L. Cline      |      Imagination is more important than knowledge.
brandon at sedona.net    |                                -- Albert Einstein