Graphical mud perspectives

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Fri Jan 23 01:28:40 CET 1998

Okay I know we have discussed graphical muds a fair bit, but something
I've been thinking about while debating if I should code a graphical
mud is what sort of perspective view to have.  The different types I
can think of are:

* First person perspective: You see what your character sees, like
  Doom/Quake/Daggerfall/etc.
* As above, except your character is standing forward slightly (as
  if you are standing behind them).  While a little more awkward,
  this does allow you to see your character performing manoevers -
  so if you do a backflip, you see your character do it rather than
  see the screen spin 360 degrees.
* Overhead view: Like the old Ultima games, or perhaps Gauntlet (hey,
  anyone for a game of mud-gauntlet? ;).  It could also be done in a
  similar way to WarcraftII/Command and Conquer/Total Annihilation,
  except with each player controlling a single 'unit'.  The trouble
  with this is that you rapidly start moving away from all social
  aspects.
* Isametric view: Syndicate, Diablo, Dungeon Keeper, etc.  Suffers
  from similar problems to overhead views - although I keep thinking
  of the way you can 'switch' into creatures in Dungeon Keeper (gaining
  a first-person perspective view), which could make things a bit more
  interesting perhaps

I am beginning to favour the idea of an overhead PK-style game, with
a form of character customisation similar to Syndicate (except fantasy
themed).  As long as I don't bother with fancy graphics or computer
controlled mobs, it shouldn't be too difficult to get a very simple
sort of game running - then its just a matter of adding the mud-server
part, and linking the two together.  Of course it'll probably take
months to get this far, but once I have something simple, its quite
easy to build on.

KaVir.