[MUD-Dev] Commercial value of RP

Mike Sellers mike at online-alchemy.com
Fri Jan 9 16:58:41 CET 1998

At 07:47 AM 1/9/98 PST8PDT, Koster, Raph wrote:
>>  - Lead by example.  Create one or more characters of your own and
>roleplay
>>    it/them on the mud.
>
>The larger the scale of the game, the more difficult it is to do this,
>btw.

Not only that, but it doesn't always work.  I heavily RPed several (okay,
many :) ) incognito characters on M59, and only rarely was the RPing picked
up.  I once challenged a guy to a duel in fairly florid language, and his
only response was "yah, whatever dude."  Sigh.  If the environment doesn't
encourage RP, those who make the effort will soon give up even trying.

Mike Sellers   Chief Alchemist -- Online Alchemy   mike at online-alchemy.com

"One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others
may despise it, is the invention of good games.  And it cannot be done
by men out of touch with their instinctive values."  - Carl Jung