[MUD-Dev] Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

JC Lawrence claw at under.Eng.Sun.COM
Tue Jan 6 15:45:30 CET 1998

On Wed, 31 Dec 1997 13:41:42 PST8PDT
Travis S Casey<efindel at io.com> wrote:

> A thought I have yet to see anybody raise about the logging/"time
> travel" scenario: muds are, among other things, virtual worlds in
> which we can see how people might interact under different sets of
> laws than those which prevail in reality.  This mud is creating a
> world in which postcognition, possibly even remote postcognition, is
> possible.

Exactly!  Bravo!  This was actually an intention of mine that I never
figure out a decent way to phrase.  The thread with Ola beating on
control and ownership of data has been circling this point without
ever touching it.

> In such a world, there is no assurance of perfect
> privacy.  *There is no other way in which such a world can be
> modeled except through logging of the type described.*

Bingo.

The entire world is in the chair and under the spot lights, bot nobody
can control who is watching what chair when.

> It would be
> interesting to see how people would act if they knew that all their
> actions were subject to review -- and how better to simulate such an
> environment than to actually implement it?

Quite.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
                                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
----------(*)                        Internet: jc.lawrence at sun.com