[MUD-Dev] The morality of logfiles [was 'Wild west']

JC Lawrence claw at under.Eng.Sun.COM
Mon Jan 5 17:03:00 CET 1998

On Fri, 26 Dec 1997 18:54:00 PST8PDT
Greg Munt<greg at uni-corn.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> JC Lawrence wrote:

>> Another approach of courae has making all logs public and
>> un-editable.  It then becomes difficult to define any action
>> derived from log contents as improper as that data is now "in the
>> puiblic domain" as it were.

> Some logs are too sensitive to be made public (logs of private
> conversations, etc - these may need to be kept private IC - as Vadim
> has stated, in another post).

<shrug>  I'm not quite that sensible to such privacy.

I suspect that players will start crafting and creating systems to
attempt to ensure privacy.  Encryption might be one approach (secret
decoder rings?).  A more likely(?) approach would just be the control
of possession of objects.  If you want your conversation to be really
secret, just ensure that you are the first owner of your body, and
that nobody ever owns that body after you, and ditto for every one
else present...

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
                                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
----------(*)                        Internet: jc.lawrence at sun.com