[MUD-Dev] The impact of the web on muds

Thu Jan 1 14:52:45 CET 1998

[Jon L:]

:I do not rule out ActiveX or DCOM.  However, I have converted my previous
:client, which was written using VBScript and ActiveX into Java.  The Sun
:vs. Microsoft lawsuit is very much an extension of the DCOM vs. RMI war. As
:the agreement between MS and Sun was secret, there is know way of knowing
:how this will fall out.  You may see DCOM supported by Java in the end as
:well as RMI.  :P  I can well understand why MS refuses to support certain
:Java 1.1 extensions.  Oops, I've strayed off signal again...

Off topic, but, can someone expand on the acronyms 'DCOM' and 'RMI'? I
know Java, and think I understand what ActiveX is (never seen it tho),
but I don't know those two.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA