[MUD-Dev] Why not compile java into object code?

Jon A. Lambert Jon.A.Lambert at ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 27 01:19:14 CET 1998

On 26 Feb 98 at 20:18, Ben Greear wrote:

> What would it take to compile java down into object code (.o files)?
> It's not being done...but I wonder why?  I don't care if I have to
> compile for each platform...if I compile just for win95 80% of my
> users will enjoy a tremendous speedup....

Yes it's being done.  I believe Symantec has such a product.
I believe Nathan Yospe mentioned a vendor?

There are "free" things being developed but they do ugly things like
translate Java to C and then compile and link with buggy garbage
collection libraries and other stuff.

Aside: Check out <http://java.pages.de/>  There's some interesting
recreations of ancient arcade games there.

> On a similar level, is this what JIT compilers do?

I do believe a JIT merely optimizes the .class bytcode for
the particular VM.

> If so, could not
> someone write a JIT that produces an ordinary exe?

No, because the native code still resides in the VM.

--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
--/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--