[MUD-Dev] Version Control (was: DBs and Events)

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Thu Feb 26 18:15:59 CET 1998

On 20/02/98 at 01:47 PM, Vadim Tkachenko <vadimt at 4cs.com> said:
>coder at ibm.net wrote:
>>
>> On 16/02/98 at 03:37 PM, Vadim Tkachenko <vadimt at 4cs.com> said:
>> >coder at ibm.net wrote:
>>
>> >[skipped]
>>
>> >Can you please elaborate on that?
>>
>> Journalling filesystems (loosely speaking) run the filesystem as a
>> journalling database.

>OK, I see - I just jumped at the wrong sentence being under influence of
>my RCS investigations :-))

Have a look at the following:

  http://www.wv.com/
  ftp://ftp.pn.com/pub/bb/wvfs/wvfs-2.2.14430954-alpha.tar.gz
  http://www.objs.com/survey/OFSExt.htm

>> RCS, CVS, SCCS and company are version control systems.  They have nothing
>> to do with filesystems per se -- they operate at the file or directory
>> level.  I use RCS -- I haven't looked into CVS (tho I suppose I should).
>> Comparitively RCS is a superset of SCCS, and is quite simple.

>CVS announces itself as a wrapper for RCS, as it goes from the docs I
>managed to read so far, you can keep the repository as a single entity
>instead of multiple RCS files.

See PRCS: http://www.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/~jmacd/prcs.html.  It doesn't do
distribution (yet), but has much other promise.

>> Note a versioning filesystem would essentially do RCS int he background
>> without your ever having to touch it.  cf ClearCase.

>By the way, what does 'cf' stand for?

cf, from the latin 'confer', or compare.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net