[MUD-Dev] Java and Javascript

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Wed Feb 25 20:32:51 CET 1998

> I would bet that more than half of current mud players couldn't make
> a symlink if their life depended upon it, let alone a registry
> change.  Installation of a client should be totally automated.

I got the installation for my java appliction down to:  download, unzip,
type <java path>\java hegemon

That aint so bad...but of course they would have to install the JDK.  I
found it was almost pittifully easy to install it as well.  Basically
unzip it and it's good to go.

However, I'm not aware of any single person downloading my client, even
though it's quite good.

The saving grace is that Java runs as an applet with very little tweaking.

It seems ppl will live with longer download times and limited abilities
(ie you can't save you're aliases/actions etc) in applet mode.  Still, if
it gets used at all, it is in this manner..

I expected the opposite..and the applet thing was even a last minute hack
I did to help out an imm who uses a mac (ie life sucks and JDK's are hard
to come by)

I think ppl have become extremely lazy about software installation..if it
doesn't have a wizard and automatically download itself...who wants it!

Still, I write for them as much as myself..so gotta start thinking more
like them....

Sorry for that rambling verbage, I love just being able to set an
environment variable or two, put it in my path, or use cool command line
args....and so few understand their beauty!

Ben the disgruntled.

> --
> --/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
> --/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--
> --/*\   "Everything that deceives may be said to enchant" - Plato   /*\--

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html