[MUD-Dev] Re: Version Control (was: DBs and Events)

Felix A. Croes felix at xs1.simplex.nl
Mon Feb 23 19:23:29 CET 1998

coder at ibm.net wrote:
>[...]
> I've done a little more research.  CVS is heavily based on RCS.  It has
> scalability problems (very large source trees) making for excessively long
> checkout times (Xemacs is held as a prime example, mainly by the Xemacs
> team).  Note however that the entire FreeBSD source tree is run under CVS
> (an even larger project).  CVS also has no concept of a "project" per se,
> or any ability to handle files which exist for some revisions, but not
> others.

The latter is incorrect; CVS does have a notion of project and handles
files that are in one revision but not in another.  Files shared between
projects are also no problem.

CVS is a layer on top of RCS.  It doesn't actually work without RCS.

I run CVS for a shared project on a remote server (using ssh for
encryption) across a 28k8 link, so I cannot comment on slow checkout
times.

Felix Croes