[MUD-Dev] DBs and Events

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Sun Feb 15 14:35:57 CET 1998

On 12/02/98 at 09:59 AM, "Jon A. Lambert" <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> said:
>On 11 Feb 98 at 11:24, Nathan Yospe wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Greg Munt wrote:
>> :On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Nathan Yospe wrote:
>> :> On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Greg Munt wrote:
>> :> :Also, any references to caches?
>>
>> :> Again, can't help you. I've done caches, but not for my mud... and there
>> :> is such a broad spectrum of things that qualify as cache. Do you want to
>> :> know more about cached in-memory storage for a disk-based DB?
>>
>> :Yes.

>See Cold, Cool and Uber(or is that Unter?).

MOO's DB coder (while a direct ancestor of Cool, and Cold's, and a child
of Uber at least in spirit), is also worth looking at.

>Well try to think of all items within an object as just data.  Assign no
>importance as to whether something is a function or not.  It is merely a
>pointer to more data.  Pay no attention to the little man behind the
>curtain.  It's not easy for me either, since I mentally tend to
>differentiate functions from procedures.

Quite.  This is essential to any good OO design.  I found that you can
further devolve tbe function binding by going with message passing tho
this is more a thought process which leads in that direction than anything
required for greater abstraction.  Were I to do it again I'd probably wrap
my messages as classes with the various ctors/dtors being used as the
effective agents.

> Hmm.  Another Rational Rose user.  I like it, but have been burned.
> Hint: Keep good backups of all iterations of clean source as well as
> the .mdl's that generated them.

I am becoming a fast fan of journalling versioning file systems.  These
problems just disappear.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net