[MUD-Dev] Databases

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Sun Feb 15 10:22:01 CET 1998

On 05/02/98 at 01:17 PM, Shawn Halpenny <malachai at iname.com> said: >For
those of us using a disk-based system, has anyone looked at Shore as >a
database candidate?

Yup.  My concerns were too-heavy abstraction and performance.  I didn't
get very deep into it as YOODA, TDBM, LINCKS, Persist++, Texas, etc seemed
much more inviting.

>It's got a CORBA feel to it, as well as an interesting
>property of allowing the database to be accessed similarly to a file
>system as well (reflective of ClearCase version control, for those who've
>worked with it).

HP, where I've worked for 18 months now has been heavily investing in
Clearcase for their OS development (HP-UX).  While I'd argue that its not
a suitable tool for OS development (its handling of dependancy loops and
cross dependencies is particularly atrocious), it is an impressive system.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net