Socket programming (Was: The impact of the web on muds)

Jon Leonard jleonard at divcom.umop-ap.com
Wed Feb 11 21:42:48 CET 1998

On Wed, Feb 11, 1998 at 05:52:54PM +0000, coder at ibm.net wrote:
> On 19/01/98 at 04:31 PM, Richard Woolcock <KaVir at dial.pipex.com> said:
>
> >Out of interest, can anyone recommend a good book on socket programming?
> >It a skill I'm sadly lacking to any useful degree...all I need to do then
> >is work out how to draw a pixel on the screen, and the rest I can do ;)
>
> I started with the man pages nd the sources to a few MUD servers.
> Steven's "Unix Network Programming" and "Advanced Programming Int The Unix
> Environment" are both excellant.  I use Steven's "TCP/IP Illustrated" (in
> three volumes) as my ultimate reference.  There is another 3 volume TCP/IP
> reference set (forget title or author, but I haven't used or studied them.

I highly recommend the above books, though I slightly prefer the other
3-volume set.  It's "Internetworking with TCP/IP" by Comer, possibly with
Stevens, depending on which volume.

Back when I was at a similar stage in MUD development, I was sufficiently
annoyed by the lack of good example socket code that I wrote some of my
own.  I've put it at:

http://www.slimy.com/~jleonard/src/ipc.html

I've also declared it public domain code, in the hope that someone may
get some use from it.

Jon Leonard