[MUD-Dev] The impact of the web on muds

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Wed Feb 11 17:18:55 CET 1998

On 19/01/98 at 04:31 PM, Richard Woolcock <KaVir at dial.pipex.com> said:

>Out of interest, can anyone recommend a good book on socket programming?
>It a skill I'm sadly lacking to any useful degree...all I need to do then
>is work out how to draw a pixel on the screen, and the rest I can do ;)

I started with the man pages nd the sources to a few MUD servers.
Steven's "Unix Network Programming" and "Advanced Programming Int The Unix
Environment" are both excellant.  I use Steven's "TCP/IP Illustrated" (in
three volumes) as my ultimate reference.  There is another 3 volume TCP/IP
reference set (forget title or author, but I haven't used or studied them.

There are a few good 'net references:

  http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~bentlema/unix/
  http://www.softlab.ntua.gr/unix/sockets.html
  http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/guide/