[MUD-Dev] Re: mud client development systems

Sunny Gulati sunnywiz at radiks.net
Tue Dec 8 00:50:46 CET 1998

At 10:52 AM 12/7/98 -0800, "Bruce Mitchener, Jr." <bruce at cybersight.com> wrote:

>Have you looked at MCP/2.1?
>
>While it is mainly used in the MOO world, it is definitely not limited to
>just being used there.  Client support exists in the form of TkMOO-light
>(whose author is on this list).
>
>Info about it can be found at http://www.moo.mud.org/mcp/
>
>Info about TkMOO-light can be found at
>http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk/User/Andrew.Wilson/tkMOO-light/
>>
> - Bruce

No, I hadn't heard of it.  It looks pretty nice.  Incidentally, when I started
thinking of this protocol a year a go or so, i called it MCP. :)   Here's my
analysis of how it applies to my situation:

1.  it seems to require that messages start at the begining of a line (i assume
this means after a newline or something similar).  As I am currently layering
my stuff on top of a [running] lpmud, the prompt unfortunately seems to get in
the way.   I like their model of quoting, though - I think I might adopt that
part of the standard, except that stuff can begin anywhere in the line (and
extends to end of line).

2. I also like the way that it handles sending multiline arguments in a message.

3. The chord stuff is way cool too.  I'm going to have to reread that part
further.

4. I think that I have a few more layers in my protocol than MCP.   Most obvious
is the query/response message pair which can keep track of "unanswered"
messages.

All in all, It is an awesome read, though.   Thank you very much for
pointing me
at those web pages.

Sunny

 // Sunny Gulati