[MUD-Dev] Re: Hex-grid mapping (example from PSL empire)

Pericolo DiMorte choke at sirius.com
Wed Dec 2 10:15:35 CET 1998

----- Original Message -----
From: quzah [sotfhome] <quzah at softhome.net>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 1998 10:32 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Re: Hex-grid mapping

>From: James Wilson <jwilson at rochester.rr.com> on Tuesday, December 01, 1998 9:39
>PM
>Subject: [MUD-Dev] Re: Hex-grid mapping
>

>>On Tue, 01 Dec 1998, Jon Leonard wrote:
>>>On Tue, Dec 01, 1998 at 07:51:24PM -0500, James Wilson wrote:
>
>[snip]
>>>Would you have been happier if I'd drawn my hexes like this?
>>>
>>>        / \   / \   / \   / \
>>>       /   \ /   \ /   \ /   \
>>>      | 0,2 | 1,2 | 2,2 | 3,2 |
>>>      |     |     |     |     |
>>>     / \   / \   / \   / \   /
>>>    /   \ /   \ /   \ /   \ /
>>>   | 0,1 | 1,1 | 2,1 | 3,1 |
>>>   |     |     |     |     |
>>>  / \   / \   / \   / \   /
>>> /   \ /   \ /   \ /   \ /
>>>| 0,0 | 1,0 | 2,0 | 3,0 |
>>>|     |     |     |     |
>>> \   / \   / \   / \   /
>>>  \ /   \ /   \ /   \ /
>>>
>>>Those are really hexagons...  And the six neighbors have the coordinate
>>>deltas I specified.  The fact that they don't look pretty in ASCII graphics
>>>says little about the math.
>
>[snip]
>>nevertheless there are eight neighbors of each node, not six. perhaps he
>doesn't
>>care about that.
>>
>>James
>

>I'm not sure I follow here. Where are the extra two neighbors that only you
>see?

look, I don't mind seeing an inordinately large number of fairly uninitiated posts
by you, quzah - but can you at least be courteous to people who *do* contribute
to the list constructively?

This is the same hex system that PSL Empire used in its final incarnation, by
the way.  He took what was essentially a 2d array and shifted every even row by one
so that the displayed map looked like this

-    000000000000
-    112233445566
- 00 X X X X X X
- 01  X X X X X X
- 02 X X X X X X
- 03  X X X X X X
- 04 X X X X X X
- 05  X X X X X X
- 06 X X X X X X

Looks like crap with this stupid font.  Oh well.

Anyhow for example: 2,3 has 6 neighbors which include the 4 hexes at the diagonals of each 'cell' plus the one above and one
below skipping a row.

By the way, I wonder what Peter Langston is up to these days?