[MUD-Dev] Re: Modular MUD

Holly Sommer hsommer at micro.ti.com
Mon Aug 31 15:36:17 CEST 1998

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Adam J. Thornton wrote:

> If I'm developing a protocol that doesn't really need much in the way of
> links, would I be better off writing an SGML DTD rather than an XML DTD?

Uhh... my Markup Language knowledge base is rusty by a couple years, but
isn't XML a DTD of SGML, just like HTML is a DTD of SGML? Document Type
Definition - rules of what tags are allowed, the rules of use of those
tags, description of their behavior, etc.? I guess I'm just pedanting and
wondering if the question shouldn't rather be:

   ...would I be better off developing a DTD other than XML?

My answer would be: yes, if you have the time to invest in it.

-Holly, tossing in her tuppance